We made our reservation for the Matoon IL hotel. When the elevator door opened on the second floor, the moldy mildew smell hit you in the face immediately. We gave it the benefit of the doubt and went to our assigned room, which was room 226. I opened the door and the moldy smell was so bad, my nose immediately became congested. I asked my husband to go down and see if there was another room available because I knew with my allergies, I could not sleep in that room, nobody should sleep in that room.
While he was down trying to get our room switched, I did my routine inspection of the bed. I do this at every hotel, checking for bed bugs. When I pulled the mattress back on both queen beds, I was REPULSED! There was food, hair and god knows what else. I took pictures right away.
My husband came back with our new room, which was only a couple doors down, room 332. I opened that room and the same moldy smell was present in that room. I went to take a shower and the bath tub was filthy, the floor was even more filthy, we had no towels and had to call down to the front desk for some. There was a leak in the bathroom ceiling. This is inexcusable and whoever is in charge of quality control and maintenance is FAILING!
We were supposed to stay two nights but I woke up wheezing and congested. There was no way we could stay again. We ended up cutting our weekend short. I will NEVER stay at another Choice Hotel again!